There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune



The Playoffs Are Here


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Can you feel that in the air? The NHL playoffs begin at 2 AM Istanbul time, and I will be up, listening to internet radio, and rooting for the perennially-underachieving Ottawa Senators. As Dr. Diamond said today, "They're always the bridegrooms, never the brides." My sentiments exactly (well, not exactly, but I understand what he was attempting to articulate).

This last week, by the way, has been rather entertaining with Captain Malaprop unleashed upon the city. In addition to my daily Turkish class, we have been dining like sultans and visiting hotspots and monuments alike. One of the more interesting days included a field trip with my Turkish class, upon which Dr. Diamond tagged along, engaging in his customary antics. This included regaling my bemused Turkish teacher with his advanced theories of etymology and historical linguistics. And in the prior sentence, by "advanced" I mean "half-baked".

But all in all, it has been immensely satisfying to see Dr. Diamond and my mother understand why this is city is so unique and fascinating. And we got a couple of decent pictures.


The Bosphorus viewed from Anadolu Kavağı, a northern suburb of the city.


1 Responses to “The Playoffs Are Here”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I love the name Captain Malaprop. Brilliant. I think I will make him a t-shirt declaring his new name for his b-day.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Sunset Shazz
  • Living the dream in Istanbul, Türkiye
  • I grew up in the hardscrabble streets of suburban Ottawa, Ontario, committing petty crime, insulting the elderly - basically the classic misspent youth. When I was 19, I moved to West Philly, where I put myself through the Wharton School by dealing crack and hustling. After stints in Paris and London, I eventually graduated and moved to San Francisco, where I put in eight years hard labor working for The Man. But now I pop bottles with models, deciding cracked crab or lobster - who says mobsters don't prosper?
    More information about this blog.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3