There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune



Bleg: Band name suggestions


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



People who travel to Nepal in particular, or the Himalayas in general, are typically in search of something in their lives. As countless souls before me, I have been reflecting on life in general, and have come to a few potentially destiny-changing decisions:
1) I am going to buy a barbecue. When describing my apartment to Ace, I mentioned my balcony which overlooks the Bosporus, and he immediately said "dude - barbecue!" A brilliant idea. I will be making mishkaki (East African/Indian spicy barbecued meat) two weeks from now.
2) I am going to start a band. The quality of singing in this town has been so abysmal that I'm convinced I could do a better job. My buddy Tunç Bey is presently forming a band in Istanbul, and I know he needs a bassist, but I'm thinking they may also need a competent frontman. Ace asked "can you write music?" and I replied, "How hard can it be?" I mean, I have a couple of years of formal musical training (Mr. Hooper's grade 7 and 8 classes), whereas Paul McCartney couldn't read music when he wrote "Yesterday" at the age of twenty-one.
My one question is what the band´s name should be, hence the "bleg". (Blog + beg = bleg).
I had assumed I was going to call my band "The Competitive Sluts" (for reasons that are too complicated to get into, especially in a family blog) but Ace thought this would be inappropriate for gentlemen. He suggested "Electric Mariachi", which is decent. I have always been partial to Mariachi music and consider it one of my duties as Best Man to hire such a band for his wedding, without ZMama or any of her family (or Ace's family, for that matter) getting wind of my scheme.
But I've decided to put it out to the readership of "Taken At The Flood" to suggest a name for my forthcoming band. Please respond in the comment field.


7 Responses to “Bleg: Band name suggestions”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Band Cognomen Suggestions:

    - Instigator (for the hockey reference)
    - Dingleberry (I always thought this would be a great band name)

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Your band should be called: SENATURKS.
    Which will remind you of how a Senator fan became a Turk.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Why not "extra mutton"?

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    DCMS

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Actually, I suggested "Extra Mutton" this morning. I figure if I lived in Kathmandu that would be my nickname.

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I like:

    "flip digitals"

    "1 effin' dollar"

    "korean smoke screen"

    OK - Those are all terrible. My apologies.

    LHB

  7. Anonymous Anonymous 

    what about

    kaderde varsa

    maybe you know already know that this is the start to a turkish expression
    kaderde varsa duzulmek
    neye yarar uzulmek
    it's kind of like "if it's your destiny to be fucked, what's the point in being sad" except better, because it rhymes, and all things improve with rhyming, right?
    anyway, all turks will know what you mean if you just use the first part

    or else something featuring the word batakhane
    i don't even know how i ended up on this blog
    anyway, godspeed

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Sunset Shazz
  • Living the dream in Istanbul, Türkiye
  • I grew up in the hardscrabble streets of suburban Ottawa, Ontario, committing petty crime, insulting the elderly - basically the classic misspent youth. When I was 19, I moved to West Philly, where I put myself through the Wharton School by dealing crack and hustling. After stints in Paris and London, I eventually graduated and moved to San Francisco, where I put in eight years hard labor working for The Man. But now I pop bottles with models, deciding cracked crab or lobster - who says mobsters don't prosper?
    More information about this blog.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3