There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune



Count Your Blessings


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I have a charmed life. I know this, and sometimes joke about the astonishing fact that things tend to work out well for me, in the end. Nevertheless, because I am a perfectionist, I occasionally fret about wee flies in the ointment and the various minor vicissitudes of life.

Over the last few weeks, I have become increasingly conscious that my little problems are of little consequence. Some close friends, who know who they are, have recently endured challenges of varying degrees, and whose courage in the face of such slings and arrows are an inspiration to those around them.

I have a page in a notebook which I sometimes pull out to remind myself why I live in Turkey, why I quit my job, why I left my friends and family to move to a foreign land. The last line on that page says "Count Your Blessings". This is good advice when times are good, and even better advice when times are not so good.

Jess, rest in peace. You will be sorely missed. I always admired your zest for life, and now, after a strenuous, well-fought battle, you have finally earned your rest. I am stunned by your grace, courage and strength, throughout. I am a better person for having known you, and am happy to have been a part of your life.


0 Responses to “Count Your Blessings”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Sunset Shazz
  • Living the dream in Istanbul, Türkiye
  • I grew up in the hardscrabble streets of suburban Ottawa, Ontario, committing petty crime, insulting the elderly - basically the classic misspent youth. When I was 19, I moved to West Philly, where I put myself through the Wharton School by dealing crack and hustling. After stints in Paris and London, I eventually graduated and moved to San Francisco, where I put in eight years hard labor working for The Man. But now I pop bottles with models, deciding cracked crab or lobster - who says mobsters don't prosper?
    More information about this blog.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3