There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune



Barbecue in the city


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It was awesome. It was so good that I'm amazed I didn't do it earlier - summer is not really summer until one has barbecued.

The food was roundly described as excellent, and as my own worst critic, I concur. The potato and eggplant curry was not my best, but it passed muster. The barbecued skewered mishkaki (in Turkish, çöp şiş) was extremely good - tender, juicy, spicy. The lamb chops were fantastic, although I did not use Ace's excellent recipe. Instead I used my version of mama's old paste recipe (ground cumin, ground corriander, red chili, ginger powder, fresh garlic, lemon juice, brushed onto the chops).

Part of the success I attribute to the excellent ingredients you get here in Turkey. Going shopping is a bit frustrating because the variety in terms of products is far less than the US (no corriander leaves, for example), however whatever you do get is extremely fresh. I used beautiful, large lemons for the lemon juice (rather than bottled) and I believe this made a huge difference to the taste and moisture of the meat. As I intimated before, my butcher is a hall-of-famer who, at the end of his career, should have his cleaver bronzed and his number retired. Furthermore, I was cooking with real charcoal rather than convenient propane gas.

Oh, and my guests were drunk.


1 Responses to “Barbecue in the city”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Like you don't get fresh lemons in SF?

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Sunset Shazz
  • Living the dream in Istanbul, Türkiye
  • I grew up in the hardscrabble streets of suburban Ottawa, Ontario, committing petty crime, insulting the elderly - basically the classic misspent youth. When I was 19, I moved to West Philly, where I put myself through the Wharton School by dealing crack and hustling. After stints in Paris and London, I eventually graduated and moved to San Francisco, where I put in eight years hard labor working for The Man. But now I pop bottles with models, deciding cracked crab or lobster - who says mobsters don't prosper?
    More information about this blog.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3