There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune



Luddites


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



One thing I can't stand is the type of person who refuses to use a technology merely because his default attitude is to habitually resist change.

It was twenty years ago today that "La mano de dios" affected an important international sports event, resulting in the wrong team advancing. By now, both the NHL and NFL have perfected the use of video replay, to the advantage of their respective sports. Why does FIFA insist on not using the available technology? At the risk of generalizing from anecdotal evidence, this is symptomatic of the difference between the dynamist North American/New Europe world view and the backward-looking, change-resistant Old European attitude.

I may be a curmudgeon, but I throw my hat in firmly with the dynamists.


2 Responses to “Luddites”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    God, I'm so with you on this one.


    Of course, if it weren't for blaming the refs for bad calls, italy would have to actually acknowledge that their team isn't entirely made of gods...

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Absolutely right.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Sunset Shazz
  • Living the dream in Istanbul, Türkiye
  • I grew up in the hardscrabble streets of suburban Ottawa, Ontario, committing petty crime, insulting the elderly - basically the classic misspent youth. When I was 19, I moved to West Philly, where I put myself through the Wharton School by dealing crack and hustling. After stints in Paris and London, I eventually graduated and moved to San Francisco, where I put in eight years hard labor working for The Man. But now I pop bottles with models, deciding cracked crab or lobster - who says mobsters don't prosper?
    More information about this blog.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3