There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune



Language and sport


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



For the record, although we at "Taken At The Flood" seek to maintain an elevated level of civilized discourse, it is our mother (PSBN) who has seen fit to introduce the colourful colloquialism "bollocks".

This is symptomatic, I think, of World Cup passion.

PS: to J, who thinks a gash above an eye is a big deal, Ryan Smyth a few weeks ago came back to skate after losing three teeth in the prior period and taking some thirty stitches. I also site the fellow who scored a winning goal with a broken nose and replied to a curious reporter "you don't skate on your nose". Listen, everyone agrees: hockey people are tough.


1 Responses to “Language and sport”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    In 1970, the West German Franz beckenbauer played in the semifinal with a dislocated shoulder. (They lost, 4-3, to Italy.)

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Sunset Shazz
  • Living the dream in Istanbul, Türkiye
  • I grew up in the hardscrabble streets of suburban Ottawa, Ontario, committing petty crime, insulting the elderly - basically the classic misspent youth. When I was 19, I moved to West Philly, where I put myself through the Wharton School by dealing crack and hustling. After stints in Paris and London, I eventually graduated and moved to San Francisco, where I put in eight years hard labor working for The Man. But now I pop bottles with models, deciding cracked crab or lobster - who says mobsters don't prosper?
    More information about this blog.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3