There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune



Istanbul nights


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Yesterday was one of those nights that reminds me how much fun this is going to be, and how much I have yet to experience. I was at a dinner party thrown by my yoga teacher, at her cozy little apartment. The crowd was the artsy/literary set: a couple of magazine editors; a documentary producer; a film actor; a foreign correspondent for NPR who just returned from Kabul and Beirut. And me - the token grubby capitalist.

But the following is illustrative of how I manage to bumble through life: it so happens that my yoga teacher's roommate is a writer with a fine arts degree from London. Clearly, we should have been talking about her interesting life rather than my mundane business. But somehow I got trapped into discussing Turkish real estate, a topic that I'd rather avoid at parties. Then, she casually mentioned a family friend who has started a Turkish property fund. It turns out that I have read their prospectus - they are newcomers who have recognized the same opportunity I have - and I have been wondering for the last few months how to inviegle an introduction. As my sister notes, I somehow manage to blunder through life falling ass-backwards into good situations.

In fact, "falling ass-backwards into deals" is one of the bullet points in my business plan.

Later that evening I met up with my old college roommate Gina, who was in town from Ankara, where she works for UNICEF. She brought a friend who coincidentally grew up in Ottawa and now works at UNDP Ankara. I mentioned that I would keep my United Nations jokes to a minimum, but she replied that she had been out with a bunch of Iraqis the night before. Understandably, their withering contempt and acerbic jokes towards her employers far surpassed anything I could come up with.

We had vodka martinis in a quiet bar overlooking the Bosphorus and the Golden Horn, and I could see the Aya Sophia and Blue Mosque in the far distance.

I felt I was in a very odd, wonderful dream.


0 Responses to “Istanbul nights”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Sunset Shazz
  • Living the dream in Istanbul, Türkiye
  • I grew up in the hardscrabble streets of suburban Ottawa, Ontario, committing petty crime, insulting the elderly - basically the classic misspent youth. When I was 19, I moved to West Philly, where I put myself through the Wharton School by dealing crack and hustling. After stints in Paris and London, I eventually graduated and moved to San Francisco, where I put in eight years hard labor working for The Man. But now I pop bottles with models, deciding cracked crab or lobster - who says mobsters don't prosper?
    More information about this blog.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3