There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune



Louis XV shat in a pot


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



A couple of months ago, I was dining out in the West Village with some friends, including My Attorney. I use the term "My Attorney" the way Hunter S. Thompson referred to the crazed Samoan with whom he travelled to Vegas. My Attorney was an accomplice in probably 7 out of the craziest 10 nights of my college days.

Anyway, we were, for reasons unclear to me now, discussing the march of human endeavours. One suspects the cocktails and wine may have influenced the subject matter.

"We discovered the scientific method four hundred years ago," he began. "We're making iPods now! Do you realize how amazing that is?" Bangs the table for emphasis. His eyes widen, as they tend to do when he is trying to convey something he feels is of import. "I mean. . . Louis XV shat in a pot!"

I completely agree with this sentiment. The average westerner lives a life that would be envied by the most powerful man in 18th century Europe. And current technology allows me to efficiently carry my music collection to a faraway land, to bridge huge distances between family and friends, and to follow my favourite hockey team. Basically, without the internet and today's electronics, I would feel much farther away from the world I left behind.


0 Responses to “Louis XV shat in a pot”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Sunset Shazz
  • Living the dream in Istanbul, Türkiye
  • I grew up in the hardscrabble streets of suburban Ottawa, Ontario, committing petty crime, insulting the elderly - basically the classic misspent youth. When I was 19, I moved to West Philly, where I put myself through the Wharton School by dealing crack and hustling. After stints in Paris and London, I eventually graduated and moved to San Francisco, where I put in eight years hard labor working for The Man. But now I pop bottles with models, deciding cracked crab or lobster - who says mobsters don't prosper?
    More information about this blog.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3