There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune



Addendum - the Coase-Friedman story, accurately


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



My former public policy professor, who is gracious enough to indulge ex-students by reading their self-indulgent blogs, writes via email:

"I remember the story a little differently, but not in any truly important respect: Coase gave the paper in a workshop, during which Friedman, George Stigler (also later to win a Nobel prize), and others argued with Coase that he was surely wrong. After the workshop they continued the conversation at Aaron Director’s house (Rose’s father), with the room full of some of top living economists all convinced that Coase was wrong, and Coase, who was relatively unknown at the time, holding his ground. During the long night, one by one Coase convinced the doubters. Friedman, predictably, was the last to change his opinion. But he did, finally conceding to Coase that he was right and Friedman had been wrong. Friedman left the evening one of Coase’s strongest supporters, convinced by Coase’s superior logic on this point.

"George Stigler later described this as the most intellectually exciting and gratifying evening of his life, watching an unpopular idea triumph through the force of reason and the willingness of brilliant, but strong-willed skeptics to bow to the force of a superior argument."


1 Responses to “Addendum - the Coase-Friedman story, accurately”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    The meeting was indeed at Aaron's house. According to Coase's account, if I remember it correctly, he first persuaded my father and my father then persuaded the others. Coase said something to the effect that arguing with Milton was hard, but if you could hold out for half an hour or so it was all over, because at that point you would have faced and dealt with all the best arguments against your position.

    I'm afraid I don't remember where I read Coase's account, but it was published somewhere.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Sunset Shazz
  • Living the dream in Istanbul, Türkiye
  • I grew up in the hardscrabble streets of suburban Ottawa, Ontario, committing petty crime, insulting the elderly - basically the classic misspent youth. When I was 19, I moved to West Philly, where I put myself through the Wharton School by dealing crack and hustling. After stints in Paris and London, I eventually graduated and moved to San Francisco, where I put in eight years hard labor working for The Man. But now I pop bottles with models, deciding cracked crab or lobster - who says mobsters don't prosper?
    More information about this blog.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3