There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune



Istanbul? You're moving to Istanbul?


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



"Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute;
What you can do, or dream you can do, begin it;
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."

- Goethe


"I look at everybody else, and. . . they got the Cristals and they got the pretty girls, and they got the Benzes and everything. So that's kind of like the mediocre stage for everything right now. You want to take it to that next level. That's what I wanna do."

- The Notorious B.I.G., interview, 1997


Ambling into my old local watering hole, the Black Horse London Deli, I mentioned the above quote from Goethe to James, the publican. Now James, like all good bartenders, has a degree in English literature, reads Latin, and has translated Goethe from the original German. "Sunset," he began, "Goethe is considered the last of the Scholastics; the last man to truly possess all of the accumulated human knowledge of the time."

Good man, Goethe. Well, the Notorious B.I.G., along with his erstwhile-friend-turned-nemesis Tupac Shakur, represented the last of rap's Golden Age. Again, a man worth listening to.

And so, 2007 is jointly dedicated to Boldness and to the Next Level. Life in San Francisco has been entertaining and memorable, but over the last few years I have been increasingly conscious of lingering in a "mediocre stage" where I'm accomplishing very little that is meaningful and lasting. Too comfortable, this cozy West Coast lifestyle. Therefore, I have elected to shake things up a bit, introduce some new stresses with the view that comfort leads to mediocrity whereas stress, correctly applied, tends to bring out one's best.


1 Responses to “Istanbul? You're moving to Istanbul?”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    "Too comfortable, this cozy West Coast lifestyle."

    Ah ha! You admit it! East Coast is the Best Coast, baby!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Sunset Shazz
  • Living the dream in Istanbul, Türkiye
  • I grew up in the hardscrabble streets of suburban Ottawa, Ontario, committing petty crime, insulting the elderly - basically the classic misspent youth. When I was 19, I moved to West Philly, where I put myself through the Wharton School by dealing crack and hustling. After stints in Paris and London, I eventually graduated and moved to San Francisco, where I put in eight years hard labor working for The Man. But now I pop bottles with models, deciding cracked crab or lobster - who says mobsters don't prosper?
    More information about this blog.
  • My profile

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3